Equipped with smart technologies including LED fixtures, solar panels, energy efficient electrical equipments and green areas, Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) has become the first railway station in India to be awarded Gold certification as per Confederation of Indian Industry’s Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) ratings. According to a report by SURFACES REPORTER (SR), “Central Railway has implemented various green initiatives across its zone, with plantation creating green areas, installation of solar panels, customer friendly initiatives at many stations, LED bulbs and lights," CR said in a statement.
Read more: Architectural Inspirations: The Work of Laurie Baker
Some of the green building and passenger friendly features enabling Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus Railway station to receive the IGBC Green Certification are:
• A commuter friendly station for differently abled and senior citizens.
• Electric charging points for some of parking spaces to encourage electric 2 & 4 wheelers in parking location by Indian Green Building Council.
• With signage stating “Avoid Usage of Plastic Bags", and digital display boards to create awareness on adverse environmental impacts of plastic bags.
• More than 15% of the station site area is covered with trees and small parks. Landscape area, lawns etc maintained with organic manure.
• CSMT station has installed on site 245 kWp solar panels
• 100% lamps have been replaced with LED fixtures at station
• 17 occupancy sensors installed in various offices and waiting rooms
• Energy efficient BLDC and HVLS fans are provided and installed at various locations.
• Comprehensive Mechanized Cleaning Contract focusing on platforms, concourse, circulating areas, parking places, tracks, roof tops, shutters, waiting halls etc. The chemicals used by the contractors are bio-degradable and eco-friendly (Green Pro)
• Smart passenger amenities like Wifi, Automatic Ticket Vending Machines, Tourism information & Booking Centre, Food Court, Pharmacy & Medical Facility, etc.
Keep reading SURFACES REPORTER for more such articles and stories.
Join us in SOCIAL MEDIA to stay updated
SR FACEBOOK | SR LINKEDIN | SR INSTAGRAM | SR YOUTUBE| SR TWITTER
Further, Subscribe to our magazine | Sign Up for the FREE Surfaces Reporter Magazine Newsletter
You may also like to read about:
Cement and Steel Free Breathable and Recyclable Buildings by Malaksingh Gill | Mumbai
4 Parameters For Designing Healthy Building